Ciprofloxacin Tablets(250mg/500mg)Ciprofloxacin Hydrochloride USP equivalent to Ciprofloxacin 250mg
Therapeutic Category : Quinolone Antibacterial
Composition : Each film coated tablet contains
1. Ciprofloxacin Hydrochloride USP equivalent to Ciprofloxacin 250mg
2. Ciprofloxacin Hydrochloride USP equivalent to Ciprofloxacin 500mg
Pharmacology : Ciprofloxacin is a fluoroquinolone, and like other members of its class, it inhibits bacterial enzymes, DNA gyrase and DNA ligase. These enzymes are essential in the replication of bacterial DNA, without which protein synthesis comes to a halt, inhibition of protein synthesis leads to bacterial death and lysis.
Indications : Ciprofloxacin is indicated in the treatment of wide variety of mixed infections caused by sensitive Gram-positive and Gram-negative organisms. Ciprofloxacin is indicated in the treatment of following infections :
* Infections of the upper and lower respiratory tract e.g. however, infections due to Streptococcus pneumoniae or Streptococcus pyogenes, may require a higher dose.
* Infections of urinary tract.
* Gonorrhoea, including urethral, rectal and pharyngeal infections even due to strains of PPNG/CMNG.
* Dermal and intradermal infections including those following burns.
* Infections of gastro-intestinal tract including typhoid and paratyphoid.
* Gynaecological infections (e.g. salpingitis and endometritis).
* Bone and joint infections (e.g. acute and chronic osteomyelitis, septic arthritis).
* Serious systemic infections (e.g. septicaemia, bacteraemia and in immuno-compromised patients).
* Surgical infections with nosocomial bacteria.
* Surgical prophylaxis
* Multi drug resistant Tuberculosis along with other Anti T.B drugs.
Dose : Adults - The dosage of Ciprofloxacin is determined on the basis of severity of infection, type of infecting, organism and age, weight and renal function of the patient. The recommended dosage schedule of oral Ciprofloxacin is as follows.
* Uncomplicated UTI: 250 mg every 12 hours.
* Lower respiratory tract infection: 250 to 500 mg every 12 hours.
* Streptococcal ENT infections 500 mg to 750mg every 12 hours.
* Gonorrhoea: 250 mg single stat dose.
* Other infections 250 to 500 mg twice a day.
Children : It is generally not recommended if other drugs are available. However compassionate use, and use under emergency conditions has shown that its risk in children has been overrated.
Adverse Effects : Nausea, epigastric distress, headache vomiting, diarrhoea, restlessness, and abdominal pain, skin rash and arthralgia.
Presentation : For 500mg tablets - Blister pack of 10 tablets
For 250mg tablets - Aluminium strip pack of 10 tablets, Blister pack of 10 tablets and bulk pack of 1000 tablets
Storage : Store at room temperature upto 25oC, protected from light. Keep out of the reach of children.